-Rifles fire faster, but do less damage per bullet.
-weapon spawns are permanent, they do not change inbetween rounds (e.g boomshot in slab then digger next round)
-Pete stated he would like to release more statistics for the weapons such as kills (like he did for gears of war 3). He named after the release of DLCS, and the first few weeks of release of the game as time frames he might do it.
Weapons not mentioned or discussed:
Heavy weapons - Mortar, Mulcher and Oneshot
Pickup Power weapons - Hammer of Dawn
No headshot multiplier
Harder to feather
Requires more 'skill'
Two-piece has been removed, pokes do less damage
Is now following on its intended purpose (close quarter combat), no longer being considered a viable good long range weapon.
Fully semi-automatic, modded controllers don't work (currently) on them
Moves faster underground
Less of a "fuzzy boomshot", a better AoE effect.
Very similar damage output to gears of war 3.
Goes through boomshield
More powerful weapon
Similar as before, not much information on it.
Can be used with any weapon
Body shot -> headshot won't kill somebody
Has recoil, low rate of fire
Reduced radius and damage, they estimated around 50%.
Stronger than the nerfed special event frag grenades (stay frosty) in gears of war 3
Only grenade that cringes you
Insta-detonate on impact
Cannot tac-com through the smoke anymore
have been made a viable power weapon pickup
Glitches are mended
2 layers of zoom
Bullets penetrate multiple enemies
Body shot does more damage
Ammo issues are apparently mitigated with ammo pickups/ammo boxes
Multiple kills possible still
Faster fire rate than the gnasher
Damage/range is the same
Fills a different role now
decent body shot damages
definitely outclasses the markza
considered to be on par with the boomshot
3 in the magazine, 2 in the clip
still a 2 hit kill
melee penalty for missing is 'high'
you can still react to melees
failed retro-charge still requires 2 melee hits
damage boost is only in overrun
damage boost does not stack if two grenades land beside somebody
3 burst kill
woot! lets see what there is today
Retro is more difficult to "feather" across the map (Gnashes ) Retro-poke is lower in damage, and the two-piece seems to be fixed (or harder to do)
Firing cap is same (HB and Snub)
Digger is faster underground
Boomshot is the same basically (no active damage)
Scorcher is about the same (goes through boomshield O_O)
Torque is between normal damage and active damage
Boltok is more powerful, single headshot, double body, but is meant for campaign, it is not in MP maps yet.
Boomshield, head is now exposed more than in Gears 3. (frags stick to boomshield)
Markza, needs two headshots, (1 body, 1 headshot does not kill), recoil and RoF make it hard to double tap someone.
Frags, far less damage than Gears 3 (less than half)
Ink, no more cringe.
Smoke, instant pop (no more bouncing), still cringes. Can't use tac-com through it. (Beacon grenade sees through it)
Flame nades, pick up only. Means it has to be a power weapon. Ammo boxes won't refill it
Longshot, Gears 2 style scope. two layers of zoom, way more body damage. Penetrates targets
Gnasher, a hair slower, not noticable. Ammo is unnoticable since you auto pick up, and there are ammo boxes
SoS, two shots per reload. (Code name: Gnasher Jr), fires faster than Gnasher, spread is same, range is same as Gnasher
Breechshot, meant for medium range, single headshot, body damage low.
Booshka, Should be scared to see someone who has it, bouncing trick shots, meant for boomshot class.(Flak loves to say it )
Being meleed is not as penalized as in Gears 3, but missing is penalized more
Markza is balanced as a starting weapon, Breechshot does more damage to body, single headshot. Longshot two levels of zoom, and you are 4-pointed when shot in body.
Booshka, 3 shots per clip, 2 magazines (6 shots)
Beacon grenade in Versus: No damage boost (In overrun, they do not stack)
No more double spawns (1st round Longshot, 2nd round Torque)
Markza and Booshka came from Overrun testing.
Classic HB: balanced to be a starting weapons, in the middle. Three bursts to kill (don't know if it takes all bullets to hit to kill in three)
Weapons skins are back
EPIC loves the Gnasher
KotG will change next week
• Are there any other classes that haven't been announced? (can you announce any? More CoG? More Locust?)
[EPIC] All Overrun classes have been announced.
• Can Overrun be played in Private Matches? (if so, can there be bots?)
[EPIC] Overrun can be played in private matches, and bots are always available in all game modes.
• Is there a chance that we will be able to choose a class and a character?
--ex: play as an Engineer, but want to play as Cole
--Or, will each class have multiple characters to choose from? (ex: engineer = Dizzy or Baird, Scout = Bernie or Garron)
[EPIC] To ensure clarity, classes and characters are locked. If you see Cole, you immediately know he’s a Soldier and can adapt strategies accordingly. There is only one character per class.
• In Beast, we could press X to make the locust laugh/Mwhahaha thing. Is this in Overrun?
[EPIC] There are no taunts in Overrun.
• How easy will it be to adjust the balance of locust/CoG.
--If one team seems to be constantly winning, can you adjust things?
[EPIC] Teams are rebalanced after each match in Quickmatches, as with Gears 3.
• How difficult will it be for groups of 'Randoms' to play together?
--The game seems to rely a lot on teamwork...and random groups don't always work well.
[EPIC] Communication is key, absolutely. This is also true of any team gametype though. There are some built in systems (bots, non-verbal spotting, automatic voice callouts (“I need ammo”), etc.) to make this less of a burden, however.
• If someone is DBNO (on their back), can they be executed?
• Can you talk about Valor Points?
[EPIC] As I said before, Valor Points were a temporary name for something that no longer exist. That feature evolved into the current Star System.
• Will any old enemies (that didn't return in GoW3) be back? (sires, kryll)?
[EPIC] Did you want me to give away all the campaign secrets?
• How long is the campaign? (longer than GoW3?)
[EPIC] I don’t know how long it is specifically, but generally speaking it’s on par with past titles, and HIGHLY replayable due to a few new features and systems.
• Will Arcade mode be returning?
---Will we be getting more customization options for Arcade?
[EPIC] Arcade mode will not be retuning in Gears of War: Judgment.
• Will we get to see any UIR involved in the campaign?
[EPIC] Garron Paduk, a defected UIR soldier, is one of the main characters in the story, and is featured along with some new UIR weapons in both SP and MP.
• We've seen who the writers are, but who is doing the soundtrack. (and which other game would have the most similar soundtrack?)
[EPIC] We're not ready to discuss this quite yet, more info coming soon!
• Will the lighting in campaign be the darker feel of GoW1?
[EPIC] That’s somewhat of a subjective call, but I’d say that the overall feeling of the game is more aligned with Gears of War (1) in general.
• Will we get to see the Kryll (or any other old classic enemies)?
[EPIC] See response above.
• Will we see any Cameos? (Marcus, Chaps, Hanley, etc.)
[EPIC] See response above.
• Will these modes be returning?
--What changes will be made to Beast/Horde
----Will we be getting more customization options for these modes?
----Will the 'cha-ching' noise return in horde?
• Will we be able to use mutators in Beast?
• Will we ever be able to have more than 3 mutators on at once?
• Will the class system be used in Horde? (was this even considered?)
• Can you implement a way to specify Horde/Beast scores that were obtained during special events?
--Some scores on the leader boards were glitched, and some scores were obtained during events (beast on the cheap, creepy crawly horde)
----(because a lot of people used certain events to exploit the leader boards)
• Many people were upset because of the fact that new elements could be added to Beast/Horde.
--Will GoW:J be easier to add things to? (new fortifications/enemies)
[EPIC] We’re only talking about those things we’ve already announced publicly.
VS Multiplayer Questions:
• Can we please get more customization options for Private Matches?
--What about a GoW1 style lobby? - LINK
[EPIC] There are many customization options for Private Matches. What other types of options were you looking for? DBNO and Locust support cannot simply be “turned on” as a feature in private matches.
• You've said that in coming weeks, we'll see more gun and character customization option. What are these?
--Can we see a demo/video? (For GoW 3, we got a preview via the beta.
[EPIC] More info coming soon!
• What is this Domination mode we've heard about?
[EPIC] Domination is a new competitive MP mode that features three simultaneously active rings. Your team gets points for capturing and holding rings. The more rings your team holds at once, the more points you get per second. Teams must decide how to split up their 5 man team to cover all three rings.
• MP is all CoG v CoG now.
--What about people who are Color Blind? (any color blind assist option?)
--Won't the character's voices (battle chatter) be confusing?
[EPIC] There are a number of small features to address these problems, such as changes to reticles when placed over teammates, names over teammate heads (not enemies), etc. Any info that is team specific will only be heard by the relevant team. For example, you’ll only head “incoming frag” if an enemy frag is actually incoming.
• Many fans are concerned about the removal of DBNO in VS MP. Is this something that could be added back later (any chance of private option)?
[EPIC] I cannot currently predict what will be in future patches or releases.
• Many fans are concerned about the removal of Locust in VS MP. Is this something that could be added back later?
[EPIC] I cannot currently predict what will be in future patches or releases.
• Will the smoke tag kill people now?
[EPIC] No. A tagged Smoke Grenade will attach to an enemy, explode, and create an upper-body only stun to all players in the area when it detonates.
• Is anything being done to improve the team balance in Matchmaking? (so it isn't 4v1 when a 2v3 is possible)
[EPIC] Teams should auto balance properly based on party make up, individual player skill, and a few other factors.
• Recently, you stated that none of the maps are symmetrical.
--How does this affect the balance of team-based gametypes?
--Do you feel that this has allowed for much more creative and interactive maps?
[EPIC] Since there is no longer any forced, central front, the focus of combat is where the players want it to be. This certainly freed up the creativity and possibilities for the Level Designers, but also means a much more fluid and unpredictable battlefront that evolves differently in every match.
• Because there is no more DBNO, can other weapons get headshots now? (pistol, HB, lancer, etc.)
[EPIC] Aside from the addition of some new headshot capable weapons (i.e. Markza, Breechshot) the headshot capabilities of existing weapons did not change to my knowledge.
• Is anything being done to end the segregation between Ranked and Quickmatch?
[EPIC] The separation between Ranked and Quickmatch is intentional. Players can choose which better suits their mood: quality matches (through skill based matchmaking in Ranked mode) or quantity (through a series of fast matches that are balanced on the fly in Quickmatch).
• Will there be any single elimination game types? (wingman/execution/warzone style)
[EPIC] There are no plans for any single elimination gametypes at ship.
• Are you planning on having an MLG style playlist?
[EPIC] I’m not sure exactly what this question is asking for.
• Will Stim Grenades bring dead allies back to life in some playlist? (no more DBNO, so can't revive)
[EPIC] This may be an option for special event playlists.
• We've heard that all weapons are returning, will all of them be in VS MP? (pistols don't seem like they would be viable being that we can use a shield with any weapon)
[EPIC] I don’t believe that there are any pistols as pickups in shipping MP maps with standard settings, but AFAIK you can use them as swaps in private matches. They may also appear in future DLC or patches as there was no conscious decision to cut them, and they have indeed been rebalanced like all other weapons, and now fill even more of a role as power weapons.
• What changes (if any) have been made to some of the power weapons? (particularly the digger, torque, boom, and scorcher)
[EPIC] Off the top of my head: the Digger moves faster than it used to while traveling underground, the Torque and Boom explode with more AOE damage without being active reloaded, the Scorcher is significantly more powerful than in previous titles (fire burns!) and there have been various small updates to effects and ammo balancing across the board.
• Is it possible to tag the Stim or Beacon Grenades to enemies like other grenades?
[EPIC] Yes, although tagging them doesn’t produce any different effects than a standard throw would.
• What changes are there to AoE and DPS for the grenades (all types)
• Are there any changes coming to the Mantle Kick?
[EPIC] There are no changes planned at this time. See podcast #13 for more info.
• Will any maps have interactive environments? (like Avalanche, Bullet Marsh, Raven Down, etc.)
--We've seen a hidden door, and moving gondolas, but are there any larger/dangerous environments?
[EPIC] We’ve tried to ensure that each map has some interactive elements that are somewhat unique and memorable, regardless of game mode.
• Can we grenade tag teammates?
-insti-revive and overshield (stim), mobile spotting beacon, or suicide mission
[EPIC] You cannot grenade tag a teammate.
• Is there any sort of indicator showing that a player has 'nades? (so you can tell who has them and who doesn't)
--Previously, we could see a player holding 'nades in his/her hand...now we tap the button, so there is no visual clue
[EPIC] There is no visual indicator, so it is safest to always assume that an enemy has grenades. Even with the quick throw you will still see it in their hands, however, and see it spin if they choose to aim.
• Will there be legacy unlocks?
--Will there be any unlocks/medals awarded for obtaining lvl 400 in GoW3? (not sure if possible due to re-upping being added late)
[EPIC] We’re not ready to discuss unlocks and awards.
• Will we be getting a nice physical manual, or will it be online?
[EPIC] I don’t know TBH. I will have to investigate.
• Many people want some sort of connection strength indicator, is this something you could/would implement?
[EPIC] This is not currently something we have planned to implement.
• Will we have an option for fading HUD? (for plasma owners)
[EPIC] You HUD does partially fade away when you are not active. I’m not exactly sure what else it is you’re asking for, I’d have to investigate.
• Can we get options for filtering the War Journal? (include/not include bots, include/not include private, etc.)
[EPIC] We’re not ready to discuss awards and unlocks.
• There is confusion about the release dates (different in US and UK) can you clarify the release date.
[EPIC] We are releasing in the US on March 19th, 2013. I don't know the specifics of our international release dates off the top of my head. I will have to investigate, or you can check with your local retailer.
• Has anything been done about the Rank Reset issue?
--Having it not happen? Allowing people to re-earn medals after a reset? (Insane Horde can't unlock after reset)
[EPIC] We have looked into this extensively and made some under the hood changes.
• Can you talk about any of the voice actors (new? returning? cameos?)
[EPIC] What type of information would you like to know about, specifically?
• Can you announce any game editions? (Epic, Limited, etc.)
[EPIC] I have no information about this right now.
• Will we have Seriously 4.0? (or 0.0 because it is before GoW1 )
[EPIC] We’re not ready to discuss awards and unlocks.
• Will DLC be released quickly (like GoW3) or will it have a larger span (like GoW2)?
[EPIC] We’re not ready to discuss DLC, other to confirm that it will indeed be forthcoming.
• The camera position seems different...is this true, can you discuss the changes at all?
• Why didn't you just copy paste the Gears 3 camera/aim system?
• Does the new camera/aim mechanic work the same in every mode, campaign to MP?
• Was it tricky to implement and require a lot of testing?
• Is this right: bullets always travel into a circular area in the center of the TV screen, whether or not you're pressing LT?
--And the disadvantage to hipfire (not pressing LT) is the circular area in the center is larger and thus you're less accurate?
• Looks like the reticule disappears while in cover, true?
• It sort of looks like the reticule would be somewhat misleading when two characters are very close together. Is that a real issue or are we overlooking something else or over-thinking this?
• When you were implementing camera/aim changes, did you also consider putting camera flip (left/right shoulder) on a button (like d-pad or clicking analog stick)?
--Is this a feature we can look forward to or did you guys decide its costs outweigh its benefits?
[EPIC] I am by no means an expert in this area, so I’ll defer to someone else and put this on the docket for a future post or podcast.